Everyone is talking about it:
“What did you make last night with your Insta?” (no connection to Instagram.)
“We cooked up some farro. It was wonderful! Ah!”
“Did you try making mulled wine in your Instapot? I did. It was fabulous! Ah!”
Lately, creating meals with electronic cooking tools has become all the rage. Read on to learn more.
If you own and use a popcorn maker, pressure cooker, rice maker, steamer, and slow cooker and fantasize about making your own yogurt or wine, give the Instapot a try. It is all of the above in one machine. Not only will buying an Instapot free up space in your appliance-laden kitchen, but it’ll also open doors to cool-cooking-conversations.
For me, well, I prefer a simple gas line to a simple gas stove with simple pots and lids (that I can easily open and close as I please.) And I really enjoy using a non-electric pressure cooker for making an absolutely scrumptious stew of beans with meat. (Recipe to follow) Then I talk politics with friends. Just kidding.
Facts About Instapots:
- As with any new appliance, if you buy an Instapot, you will have to learn how to operate it. Instant Pot’s website has troubleshooting videos, FAQs, and even live support. There are a lot of tutorials on YouTube as well.
- You can also download the free Instant Pot app on iOS and Android devices. It has hundreds of recipes and millions of users provide added support.
- There are 3, 6, or 8-quart sizes available. (As with cars, I recommend having the extra space for those just-in-case cases.)
- Instant Pots have an inner pot warmed by an electric element.
- It is important to make sure the inner seal is properly in place.
- It is important to seal the pot correctly before bringing it to pressure.
- The Instant Pot Smart can be wirelessly connected to your phone.
- With an Instapot: Grains emerge fluffy and soft. Veggies have a tendency to overcook. Meats can be tenderized efficiently.
Multi-Cooking Machine Options
Instapot Duo Multi-Cooker is a 6-quart electric pressure cooker with a stainless steel inner pot. It is an Amazon Choice with 4 1/2 stars and is priced at around $80. This item combines 7 appliances in one: pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer, sauté pan, yogurt maker and warmer – and claims to cook up to 70% faster. (Note that there is a preliminary wait time with some recipes as the machine pressurizes plus another wait time before opening the pot.) The lid, pot, and accessories are all dishwasher safe.
The next option is a non-Instapot choice: The Gourmia CPC625 6-Quart Multi-Mode SmartPot Pressure Cooker. Because I’m wary of Teflon, I don’t recommend it. I’m mentioning it here, so you have a good scope of what’s available. This pot has 13 cook modes, a 24-hour delay timer, an automatic keep warm feature, LCD display, a pressure sensor lid lock, is $57 and comes with a free recipe book.
If you are looking to remove another appliance from your kitchen counter, consider spending a bit more for the Instant Pot 8-quart Duo Crisp Combo Pressure Cooker Air Fryer for about $180. There are also 3 and 6-quart options. This machine has a detachable air fryer lid which allows for dry cooking to quickly air fry, roasting, baking, broiling, and dehydrating. Accessories include a multi-level air fryer basket and a dehydrating and broiling tray. The pressure cooker lid offers 6 wet cooking to quickly pressure cook, sauté, steam, slow cook, sous vide and warm.
Now, the recipe you’ve been waiting for:
Great Beans and Meat Recipe
Use the Non-Electric Pressure Cooker by Presto or you can try making this dish with one of the above options.
- Saute’ an onion till sufficiently browned.
- Add in and saute’ for a minute 2 cloves of minced fresh garlic.
- Add in and saute’ for about 5 minutes cubed beef. (I use shin meat cut in 1-inch pieces.)
- Then add two cups of rinsed, dry, Great White Northern Beans.
- Add 8-ounce can of Hunt’s Tomato Sauce and 3 cups of water.
- Salt. Pepper.
- Seal the pot. Cook on a high fire till the small metal piece at the top of the pot begins to rock back and forth. Lower the flame and cook for another half hour.
- Once the pot has cooled, (Never open before it cools) open it up and taste. The beans should be soft but firm.
A Hot Warranty Policy
After you’ve bought your new cooking tool, make sure to warranty it up with a dependable CPS Warranty. CPS connects you with those who perform authorized repairs using original parts. Their customer service is top-notch, earning them multitude awards.
Who We Are