When the clock struck 12 this past January first, we cheered, threw confetti, and kissed loved ones. We knew not amid the New Year hype, that 2020 would usher in so much confusion. In the months to follow, we have cried and discussed, researched, and wondered why. Many of us have looked for the silver linings surrounding the pain of this pandemic. And so, I’ve decided to add to the conversation something that, well, does seem better now:
We are cleaner. SO much cleaner!
In just 8 weeks, we’ve become experts at battling the enemy of filth. We have learned to wipe down doorknobs, fridge handles, light switches, and packages outside our doors. We seriously scrub our nails, the soles of our shoes, and anything that hints of an ominous germ.
And so, in the spirit of our spotless lifestyles and all the laundry we’ve been doing, here’s a natural recipe to combat the soil, detergent, and water minerals that tend to build up inside our washing machine lids and doors. Read on, for surely you agree, this is not the time for mold and mild(ew).
Cleaning a Front-loading Washing Machine:
- Spray the drum with white vinegar in a spray bottle.
- Wipe away the vinegar with a dampened microfiber cloth.
- Set the washer to the highest level and the hottest water temperature.
- Add two cups of white vinegar to the detergent dispenser.
- Run it through a complete cycle.
- Once complete, add 1/2 cup of baking soda to the drum.
- Run another cycle on the highest level and at the hottest water temperature.
- When the cycle is done, wipe the inside of the drum with a dampened microfiber cloth.
Cleaning a Top-loading Washing Machine:
- Set the washer to the highest level and the hottest setting.
- Add four cups of white cleaning vinegar to the wash cycle.
- After the cycle starts, pause the machine and allow it to sit for an hour.
- During this time, wipe down the top of the washer with a microfiber cloth dipped in the hot vinegar water.
- Use a toothbrush to scrub the fabric softener and bleach dispensers.
- After an hour, continue the wash cycle.
- Once that is done, add in 1 cup of baking soda and run another wash cycle.
- When completed, wipe the top inside of the washer tub with a microfiber cloth to remove any remaining scum.
Four Additional To-Dos:
- Prevent mildew and mold by leaving the lid or door open when not in use.
- Check out CYA.insure for appliance warranties. Once suited up with coverage, which by the way is cancelable at any time, you will be entitled to white-glove service. A tech specially trained to fix your unit will come to your home and will handle the repair using only OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer parts.)
- Be mindful to not let the quest for sanitization steal your sanity.
- Lastly, applaud yourself for a job well done.
Cleaner, we will prevail!
Who We Are
Cover Your Assets (CYA) is a leader and disruptive innovator in the field of service plans. The company offers extended warranty coverage for virtually all types of consumer purchases ranging from high-end consumer electronics to computers, major appliances, power tools, lawn & garden equipment, and much more. All plans are backed by an A.M. Best Rating of “A-” (Excellent) Insurance carrier. Learn more about CYA by visiting www.cya.insure.