While you know it’s not wise (nor sanitary) to bring your treasured smartphone into the bathroom, you still do it. You take that baby everywhere! Of course, you do – your cell is your portal to the outside world, holding emails, texts, Instagram, Facebook, Words With Friends, and the list goes on.
So, what to do if your phone happens to fall in the toilet before, after, or during the flush?
The First Step
1. The first thing you should do is: GET IT FAST! The longer it’s in the water, the more likely it will ruin.
Steps 2 and 3
2. Next, turn it off. If you aren’t sure whether the phone is ready for burial or just blank because it was off before the tragedy, wake it by pressing the power button. Then, shut it off.
3. Remove the cover, remove the battery or microSD card, and run for towels, tissues or whatever you can find to dry your phone well.
Don’t Do this
Y’know that instinct to take out your hairdryer to blow dry your sopping phone? Well, ignore that instinct. The heat from the dryer can permanently ruin the internal components. Ovens, ice trays, microwaves, fridge drawers are all off-limits as well.
Steps 4, 5, and 6
4. Now it is time for Carolina or Goya – long grain, short grain, basmati – white or brown, whatever. Yes, dear, we are speaking of rice. Find a bowl and add some grains that have never – unlike your phone – been in contact with water. Then bury your phone deep within this dry bath. This technique has a unique ability to whisk away moisture trapped inside your wet phone.
5. If you decide to continue to fix your phone all by yourself, brace yourself for the hardest part (yes, harder than sinking your hand into a toilet): Say goodbye to your phone for 3 days as it sits. As I write this, I shudder. I know…
6. After the sabbatical, wherein you’ve been using your tablet to make calls and the sort, go check on your little friend. Say a prayer and then, turn it on. A blank screen means it’s time for funeral prep and a visit to Apple or Samsung. A revived screen = good news with caution. You will have to monitor the situation to see if the components are all working well.
When it’s Time to Buy New
If we are indeed dealing with that black glassy stare – the one where your phone screen reflects your moping face and nothing more, then you must accept that you’ll be shelling out pretty pennies to fix or buy a new smartphone.
That’s when you’ll get yourself some accidental phone insurance. That way, there’ll be no future running to the corner store for groceries you can’t eat, no deep dipping into funds for expensive repairs or purchases, and no living without your lifeline for too long.
Since your nerves are already fried from merely pondering this scenario, here’s a link to a safe and sound warranty plan you can take anywhere! With small monthly payments and a deductible, you can rest easy knowing that if you ever need a reliable phone repair, you’re all set.
Who We Are
Cover Your Assets (CYA) is a leader and disruptive innovator in the field of service plans. The company offers extended warranty coverage for virtually all types of consumer purchases ranging from high-end consumer electronics to computers, major appliances, power tools, lawn & garden equipment, and much more. All plans are backed by an A.M. Best Rating of “A-” (Excellent) Insurance carrier. Learn more about CYA by visiting www.cya.insure.